Saturday, May 7, 2011

When a Chair is More Than Just a Chair

The other morning, I had the pleasure of watching my sons make up a game with 2 kitchen chairs.  Sounds pretty mundane, but for me it was thrilling.  With the eight-year age gap, there is still a difference in how much TL understands about the games, but he was definitely a willing participant.

They charged at each other like chair bumper cars, in a game that TJ called “Trojan War.”  They laid the chairs down and made a fort.  They turned those chairs into so many things and had the best time. This session of make believe is so common in most houses, but not mine.  It made my morning seem brighter and more hopeful.

There have been quite a few times this week where I could actually forget my sons were autistic.  When TL was having a therapy session recently, it seemed like he was just a little boy playing with a teacher.  I didn’t see the struggles and behaviors that usually make it painful to watch. 

These little glimpses of normalcy are probably what keep me sane.  I can’t survive in autism mode 24/7.  Not only do I need to see my kids being normal, but they need to feel that way sometimes too.  There is nothing wrong with being different, but there is something difficult about feeling different all the time. 

All I know is that I will take these moments as they come and cherish my sons as the blessings from God that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment