Monday, December 17, 2012

Please Don't


There are already a plethora of these blogs on the internet right now, but I needed to say my peace.

Please don’t compare my sons to Adam Lanza.

Please don’t blame a neurological disorder for this heinous crime.

Please don’t make autism or Asperger’s synonymous with mass killings.

Please don’t jump to conclusions about a mother you never met.

Please don’t distance yourself from a child because they have autism.

Please don’t compare the physical outbursts that can be triggered in autistics with a planned massive attack on innocent school children.

Please don’t make it even more difficult to tell you that my sons are autistic.

Please don’t believe everything you read or hear about autism.

Please don’t make my sons and others like them into modern-day lepers.

Please….don’t.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Amanda for writing this! I've been very bothered by the false connections/assumptions about autism and this horrific crime've in the blogosphere and in the media. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,
    I stumbled onto your blog after your Diaper Genie repair instructions saved me - because I wanted to thank you! I wasn't aware of these latest prejudices but am so sorry to read about them, and thanks for opening my eyes to what might be out there. Best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete